Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a hand written agreement, signed but not dated, which

Customer Question
states "We agree that we...
I have a hand written agreement, signed but not dated, which states "We agree that we will make an agreement in which I (party A) will convey half interest in my property located ------(address) to (party B) " Followed by both signatures.
I am party B and party A is now refusing to follow through with the agreement. Is this preliminary agreement legally valid? What options do I have/ I am a R.I. resident.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/26/2010
Business Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 7 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Subscription customers. An ACCEPT is credited to me but you are not charged. Followup questions WILL be answered if my first answer is acceptable.

Unless there was money exchanged it is not legally enforceable, it is just a promise. For there to be a contract there has to be consideration.
The agreement was made after several years that I paid for party A's attorneys fees regarding said property as well as other expenses.
If there was consideration for the agreement, then it is enforceable if the terms can be ascertained. An agreement to make an agreement is still just a promise that cannot be enforced. You could argue that it was meant to be fair market value and have a chance of enforcing it.
lwpat
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney