Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I know in some states you do not need to send into the State…

Customer Question
I know in some states...
I know in some states you do not need to send into the State the Operation Agreement of a LLC. However the Operation Agreement spells out all the owner,members rights. If I am going into business withsome and on the LLC they fill with the state they didnt place my name as a named Partner, however we write the Operation Agreement with my name a "member" does that make a difference? Also, what is the difference of a Member Manager and Member, is it just certain rights you have to ownership of the business?
Thank you
April
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2010
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. I see you have been waiting a while. do you still need an answer and if so please clarify what you want to know.
has not been answered
I am going to open this to my colleagues given the state specific nature of the question.
Business Lawyer: Law Pro, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Law Pro, Attorney
OK, you stated:

Answer:

In all states you don't file the operating agreement - that's a private document as between the members.

In Michigan - all that is needed to form an LLC is that Articles of Organization be filed.

Articles of Organization: In any Michigan LLC formation, articles of organization must be signed by at least two persons organizing the LLC and delivered, along with a copy, to the Michigan Secretary of State for filing. State law requires that certain information be included in the articles of organization of your Michigan LLC formation. This information must include:

• The LLC name

• The purpose for which the LLC is organized

• The period of LLC's duration if other than perpetual

• The street address, (mailing address) including the county, of the LLC's initial registered office

• The name of the LLC's initial registered agent at the above address

• A statement as to whether the company will be manager managed.

• Any other provision, not inconsistent with law, set forth in an operating agreement.

• So, it would be normal practice NOT to include all the members (owners) names of the LLC.

Yes, your name being on the Operating is Agreement is as it should be - your a member/owner of such and should/must be listed.

As to Member Managers and Members:

An LLC's daily business operations are conducted either by the LLC members themselves or by designated "managers" (who may also be LLC members). An LLC member may also be a "manager". The LLC "operating agreement", a document separate and apart from the "articles of organization" controls the relations between managers and members should members be appointed. If no managers are appointed, then the LLC members, as a whole, must make and approve of all operational details of the LLC.

Please click on the ACCEPT button for my answer so that I receive credit for assisting you (even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription program). You may continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting. If the information is helpful, I would very much appreciate positive feedback. Bonuses are also appreciated. If you do have a follow-up question, press REPLY, NOT relist, or else I won’t receive the question.
    Law Pro, Attorney

Thank you, ***** ***** answer my question.

I appreciate your fast and easy to understand response.

You're welcome. Good luck!!
    Law Pro, Attorney
    Law Pro, Attorney