Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I need a business grant to start up a small business (tanning

Customer Question

I need a business grant to start up a small business (tanning salon) here in Las Vegas. I heard not to spend any money on the internet to apply for a grant because they end up just being a scam and they end up charging you a monthly fee. Is this true? Is there any legitimate company out there I can apply to submit my research and figures to? I have a location as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am a single women, 32 years old. Does is help to get a grant if your a women. Any direction would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I REALLY NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

Jennifer
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

You have heard right about online grant writing companies. They usually don't work out and you end up spending money without results.

You need to find a local small business grant writer to help you submit the paperwork. You can Google "small business grant writers in Las Vegas" and find several local businesses.

Also, you can contact the city and county and ask who they use to write grants.

You need someone you can sit down and talk to face to face - not someone in another town or state.

The fact that you are a minority is definitely a plus. There are thousands of minority grants to encourage small business growth by women and racial minorities.