Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

Are there any legal issues with starting a website where I

Are there any legal issues with starting a website where I let customers, verified to be of appropriate age of course, join "groups" to band together and increase their purchasing power for lottery tickets? Similar to office pools where a large group of people go into together, with the knowledge that if any of their tickets win, they split the proceeds according to how much they contributed?
As long as you are not providing the tickets or taking a cut of their winnings, you are not doing anything unlawful. It is not a violation of the gaming or lottery laws to merely provide a place for those interested in the lottery to connect with one another and what they do amongst themselves is between them and not your website.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So it is a violation if my website were to purchase the tickets for the groups after they had formed? Would this change even if the tickets for each group were scanned and placed on a groups page on the website?

Also, I would not take a cut of the winnings, but would it be unlawful for the website to have a share in every group. Lets say the person who starts the group pays a fee up front, $1, the website then takes this $1 and enters into each group. Therefore, if any group wins, the website is entitled to whatever percentage of the profits $1 correlates, is this illegal?
Yes, since you have no way to verify whether or not they are state residents and if they give you false addresses there are laws about purchasing tickets across state lines. Also, you would likely be held to be participating in unlawful gaming because you are taking a cut of their prizes in the lottery. Your website taking a percentage as a member would be the same as you getting a cut.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK, one last question then I will accept, and thank you very much for your assistance.

Same concept, but say I have a physical store, which performs the same general service, but checks ID to ensure that residents are of age, and then they would not be purchasing the tickets across state lines.

Assuming I remove the concept of taking a cut as a "member", and just simply charge a flat rate fee for the service, would this approach become legal?

You still cannot take a cut or charge a fee to buy tickets, the lottery commission would require you become an authorized seller and then you would still not be able to charge people for what you want. The states did this years ago to prevent people from cutting into their business.