Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I accidentally relisted an item on eBay that I no longer had

in stock. A buyer...
I accidentally relisted an item on eBay that I no longer had in stock.
A buyer left negative feedback stating that I had demanded payment and that I had sold it to someone else (both untrue).
The buyer did not read the auction details and follow my guidelines for communication as I state in every auction "Contact via eBay My Messages only".
The buyer continues to contact me outside of eBay, and would not accept all five of my offers to try to make things right.
Even though the auction stated an end date in the past, and the customer bid and won the item anyway, eBay says I have to get a court order to get the negative feedback removed, and that the customer contacting me outside of eBay / not replying via eBay is something I would have to prove is disruptive to my business before they can do anything about it.
7/2/2010
They are correct and eBay does this all of the time and will refuse to remove any feedback from customers as eBay is not liable for what is posted by the customers. Your sole recourse is against the customer for the harassing communications and for any false feedback posted and if you win that suit then you would serve eBay with an order from the court for the removal.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Is there a difference between filing suit against the person and obtaining a court order to get the feedback removed (as eBay states)?

Am I going to have to file suit against the person for making the two false statements in the feedback, then win that suit to obtain a court order? Or can I get a court order directly somehow?

You would have to file a civil suit before you can get any type of order from the court against them to remove the feedback.

What sort of $ are we talking if I go ahead and do that - - I live in Texas, they live in CA.

I am not clear on what all I need to do to begin the process, please clarify...

You would have to file suit in CA and thus it would mean you would need an attorney and that would cost you roughly $275 per hour. You would have to file the suit in CA court to obtain jurisdiction over the party and as part of filing suit you would ask for an injunction to remove the feedback.

Have you ever worked on an eBay feedback removal case before? If so, what am I looking at realistically in terms of time and money? What would you need me to provide you with to get this completely resolved?

I have not personally, but have a partner who has and it cost the client well into the $8000+ range and the case was dismissed because the client could not prove that the statement was completely untruthful. We cannot take on clients from this service it is strictly against site rules and we cannot make personal referrals, the best we can suggest is the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com or http://www.findlaw.com

When you have a minute, please send me a list of my options at this point

richardATdatanowllcDotCom

We are strictly prohibited from making contact through email, so I cannot do as you requested. You can print out the information from this question which are your list of options.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney