Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

In Nov 2009 I transferred $6700 to a former contractor working…

Customer Question
In Nov 2009 I transferred...
In Nov 2009 I transferred $6700 to a former contractor working for my company (who also has a 1% stake in my company). He claims he never got the money so I transferred the money again. I then received my bank statement which showed that he had received the monies twice. I asked him about this and he assured me he only got the monies once. My bank (Bank of Ireland) then provided documentation from his bank (Bank of America) which proved he got 2 transactions 1. 27th of Nov and 2. 4th of Dec.

Michael then wrote an official letter to Bank of Ireland saying "I have reviewed my bank records extensively for Nov, Dec 2009 and Jan 2010. I show one international wire transfer for this time period which occurred on Nov 27th 2009."

Bank of Ireland still rejected his claims and he told me he went to his bank manager to get an official letter to refute his claims. He then said his bank manager had referred him to the Fraud Department and he had a meeting set up at 12pm on the 11th of June. On the 11th of June I got an email from him saying he had been admitted to hospital.

I was by now being sued by my bank because the issue had gone on so long and I was overdrawn. Michael then submitted his bank of America statements to me to 'prove' he didnt get the monies. His bank statements show a lodgement on the 4th of Dec and not the 27th of Nov he had previously claimed.

There was also other issues with his bank statements. 1. If you add the debits and credits - they don't add up correctly. 2. His closing balance at the top of the statements says "$6417" but the closing balance at the bottom says $2124. I brought these to a Bank of America branch and a bank manager confirmed that these documents were suspicious.

When I told Michael this he then denied everything and then rang me back an hour later saying he had visited his bank manager again and they had magically found the missing funds.

I am just wondering what action I can take against Michael. What is the severity of forging Bank Statements? I want to know what charges I can make against him i.e. attempt to withhold funds, lying, forging documents, delaying tactics, falsified claims of meetings?

It is important to be able to trust your shareholders - I clearly cannot trust him.

What steps can I take to get him removed from the company and for him to sell his shares back to me?

Thanks for your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/29/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
First, you can file charges with the DA against him for theft by fraud, and that would be up to the DA"s discretion as to whether or not to pursue him criminally. This would be a grand theft and a felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

Second, you certainly have grounds to sue him for refund of the money that you overpaid him and you have your bank records to show that the money was sent and once you file suit you can serve a subpoena on Bank of America to get the true and correct account records from his account which will most likely show the transfers, since your bank is showing the money received by Bank of America.

Third, it is also a breach of fiduciary duty to the company and for this you can sue to remove him from the company and the court would order the buy out price.

These suits would need to be brought by the company and because there is a company involved you need an attorney to represent you in any legal matters by the rules of procedure since an owner cannot represent a company as it is a separate person for legal purposes and it would be the unauthorized practice of law.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for your answer.

As he has now offered to repay the monies am I still able to prosecute him for theft?

Also, do you know what consequences would be brought against him for forging Bank Statements? Is it a felony?

Is there anything I can do about him claiming to have set up meetings/hospital visits etc.
If he repays the money, then there would likely be no DA that would prosecute the theft or the falsifying of the documents. The falsifying the documents and meetings would be grounds to seek to remove him from the company and if he will not agree to a buyout of his share and your bylaws/operating agreement do not mention removal then you would have to proceed to court to remove him from the company and buy him out. I would not do anything with the buyout until you get repaid for what he took that he was not entitled to.