Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I managed a sales and marketing company for two years. For…

Customer Question
I managed a sales and...
I managed a sales and marketing company for two years. For 9 months of that i was a hiring manager and recieved overrides on about 15 employees. The overrides before i resigned this last friday totaled out at $5,600. The ceo of company is willing to settle but not for the whole amount. As I have been told the money was entirely mine before i quit. I would like to know if he does not want to give me the money in whole. What could i take him to court for. Alex Gonzalez cleveland, oh XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/28/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
This all depends on whether or not the overrides are considered bonus or commissions. If they are considered commissions then they must be paid like wages and if they are considered bonus then the payment is in accordance to the employer's policy on payment of bonus on termination of employment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

They are all commission's. I recieved 10% of office profit while in the position. Seeing as though the sole purpose of saving the money was to open my own office ( essentially a franchise ) of that office, the owner is saying he should not have to pay me the full amount. He is probably just looking at this like im 23 years old and he can take advantage of the situation. I would just like to know in all honesty should i settle for as much as i can get or should i try and get my full amount.
If they are commission, then they are considered wages and must be paid upon your leaving the employer. If they will not pay them, then you can sue for a wage claim. You can also file a wage claim with the department of labor's wage and hour division for failure to pay wages.