Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I started my own business about two months ago. Its a compu…

Customer Question
I started my own business...
I started my own business about two months ago. It's a computer consulting business. I registered in the State of Virginia as an S-Corporation. The business is located in my house, but I don't see clients there, ever. I always travel to my clients offices.
I'm the only owner and the only employee.

I'm married right now, if I get a divorce, could my wife take half of the business?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/23/2010
Business Lawyer: lwpat, Attorney replied 8 years ago
lwpat
lwpat, Attorney
Yes she can but since it is a consulting business that depends on your personal efforts the value would be extremely small. There is no allowance for "goodwill" in appraising the value.
Thank you for your prompt reply.

What if the business grows and I hire a tech or two?
What if I get to have a lot of money in the business bank account, let's say for example $100,000.00. Could she go after that money?
Yes she can since that would be considered marital property.
Thank you very much for your answers,

Is there anything I can do to protect myself?