Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

A Malaysian State Government encouraged a foreign company yo…

Customer Question
A Malaysian State Government encouraged...
A Malaysian State Government encouraged a foreign company yo carry out preliminary exploration and prospecting for iron ores. After that, the State gave an undertaking to that foreign company to ussue a 21year lease. Then a JV Agreement was entered whereby it was agreed that they set up a JV limited liability corporation. The JV incorporated was formed but neither the undertaking nor the JV agreement (where it was agreed that the State shall do all to get the mining permits) were not incorporated in the M&A of the JV Incorporated. the Styate held 51% of the JV Incorporated and the balance of the 49% was held by a limited company which was initially formed by the foreign company but later its shares were bought by third parties. after 10 years of operation, the State refused to renew the mining permits to thye JV Incorporated even though the State holds 59% of it. On what grounds can the 49% shareholder compel the State to honour its 21 year undertaking?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/20/2010
Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 8 years ago
Fran-mod

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a moderator at JustAnswer.

You have asked a legal question about a country that we do not have active Experts in. As much as we would like to assist you, we have to be honest and say that the best we can do is provide a legal Internet researcher who might be able to find your answer. We realize that option is not ideal.

You can certainly keep your question open, see if one of our experts can assist you, and determine if the answer is helpful to you before deciding whether to accept it. Or, if you prefer, we can close your question page for you and either leave the deposit, which you can apply against a future question, or process you a refund.

Best,

Fran

Moderator

Francine, please keep the question open.

Can you provide a legal Internet researcher?

Thank myou,

Best Regards,

HB Lim

Business Lawyer: Fran-mod,
 replied 8 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply.

I will alert our legal experts that you still wish an answer. If one feels that he is able to research the issue, he will reply to this thread. The question is specialized and the resources are probably not going to be generally available in English. But , we'll see!

Regards,

Fran
Moderator, JustAnswer

Business Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 8 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
DId the government sign a 21 year lease with the company?

No. The foreign company signed a JV agreement with the State but the agreement did not mention the 21-year lease. But it states at Article 11 that "The parties hereto shall do all acts and things within their power for the time being to procure the grant of rights and licences, permits and shall exercise their voting rights for the time being in the Company to procure that the Company perform and observe the provisions of this Agreement."

The JV Agreement was dated 8 July 1990 and signed between The State, the foreign company and a local company formed by the foreign company (local company A).

The letter of undertaking by the State was dated 12 June 1990 (i.e. before the execution of the JV Agreement) was given to the foreign company in which the State undertook to secure a 21 year mining lease for the JV Company to be formed between them.

The JV company was formed in November 1990 BUT the shareholders were the State (51%) and another local company formed by the foreign company (local company B ). The JV Company was given a 5-year renewable Mining License / Certificate.

My difficulties - local company B is not the recipient of the undertaking and also not privy to the JV Agreement. The undertaking and the terms of the JV Agreement are not oncorporated in the M&A of the JV Company of which locla company B has 49%.

The State now has refused to extend the Mining Licence / Certificate for the JV Company after extending it once, and has instead given it to a third party.

My problem - how can local company B claim the benefits of the terms of the undertaking and the JV Agreement?

My initial thoughts - some kind of a equitable assignment from the foreign company to local company B?

- some arguments based on representation / acquiescence / reliance / detriment against the State?

My view is that local company B and (local company A) was arguably a third party beneficiary of the undertaking and the JV agreement between the foreign company and the State. A third party beneficiary of a contract has standing to sue to enforce the contract.

At some point you have to have the agreements reviewed by a local attorney who can give you legal advice on how to proceed.

http://www.hg.org/lawfirms/Malaysia/Kuala-Lumpur.html is a directory of attorneys there.

there is no statutory provisions in Malaysia which gives third party rights to or benefits of a contract to which he is not privy. We can only fall back on common law or equitable principles of assignment or novation or whatever. What do you think are the applicable common law or equitable principles, rules etc applicable?

Third party beneficiary is a common law doctrine.

Also promissory estoppel may be argued:

Restatement (2d) Contracts:
§90. PROMISE REASONABLY INDUCING ACTION OR FORBEARANCE

(1) A promise which the promisor should reasonably expect to induce action or forbearance on the part of the promisee or a third person and which does induce such action or forbearance is binding if injustice can be avoided only by enforcement of the promise. The remedy granted for breach may be limited as justice requires.
from
http://www.lexinter.net/LOTWVers4/promissory_estoppel.htm

The promises of the 21 year lease foreseeably relied on that promise in entering into the JV agreements.