Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am part of a 501c3 registered non-profit organization, the…

Customer Question
I am part of a...
I am part of a 501c3 registered non-profit organization, the Ministry of Servanthood, serving Christian community in Oregon area. Currently it pays part of the utility of my residence. Can it cover my health and dental insurance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/16/2010
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for your question. are you an employee under it?
No. Self-employed, but for tax purposes I'm considered employed by my church which I'm the pastor. Honorarium received from other churches and individual donations go to it, but not paid except partial utility of my residence.
Do you want to make a profit?
No. This is a non-for-profit 501-C-3 registered organization. I'm part of it serving in this area. Definitely I have no profit in mind.
Then you need a tax lawyer to handle the application for you. see www.martindale.com
We have applied and have IRS approved for the non-for-profit status of this organization in 2002. I'm asking an operational question, not application. Please see my first posting again and you see what I mean.
If not an employee I do not see basis for such extended coverage.
Can it cover then part of the utility expenses of my residence?
It risks losing its not for profit status if it does so.
is it then the organization cannot pay anything for its volunteers at all?
If it retains employees, it can choose to so offer benefits.

Unless I become a formal employee of the organization I cannot receive anything from it?

If I become one, all benefit has to be reported on 1040?

That is correct.
Infolawyer, Attorney