Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Have a Lodeging Business in new jersey is it illegal to make…

Customer Question
Have a Lodeging Business in...
Have a Lodeging Business in new jersey is it illegal to make a photocopy of a guest driver license as aproof of identification and hold it in our records.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
6/15/2010
Business Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney

Dear JACUSTOMER - There is no law that would prevent this for identification purposes. This is a very common method used by all sorts of entities to keep records of clients and customers. It is routinely done at real estate closings to verify the identities of persons signing deeds and other paperwork. You should make certain that you notify the person that you intend to copy the license. If they refuse you can deny them a room but they should be the ones to decide. Some people object, especially if their SSN is on the license.

Obviously the copies cannot be used for an illegal purpose such as a fake ID etc.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney