Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I was wanting to open a bookkeeping practice. I have heard…

I was wanting to open...
I was wanting to open a bookkeeping practice. I have heard that I can not have the name "Accounting" in my business name if I am not an accountant. I reside in Texas. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Regards,
Tara Racer
6/10/2010
socrateaser, Attorney

It's correct. Under Occupations Code 901.453, holding oneself out using any title that can be confused with the term "certified public accountant," can be subjected to both civil and criminal penalties. If the person is successfully prosecuted, it can mean civil and/or criminal penalties, including fines and imprisonment. Occ. Code 901.602.

Consider limiting your name to the term "bookkeeping service," or similar.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: If you are on a subscription plan, your clicking Accept does not generate any additional charges to your user account. It only indicates your satisfaction with my answer.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney