Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am the sole owner of 2 s-corps; my husband works as an employee

Customer Question
for the business. New...
I am the sole owner of 2 s-corps; my husband works as an employee for the business. New York State sales tax department has attached my husband's social security number to the sales tax liability and corporate liability. He's not even an "officer" of record. What does he have to do to get himself released from the liability?

Also, I have an IPA for one of the businesses which is no longer in business and I am unable to make the "agreed" payment because my paycheck just started being garnished in January for a past vendor debt (judgement). If I file bankruptcy am I still required to make the IPA payment at the current amount or can I renegotiate it for a lower amount; will the penalties and interest be removed from the tax liability?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/4/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
You first need to contact the Sales Tax Department and provide them with copies of the corporate paperwork and your EIN records showing that he is not listed as an owner/member or liable party on that paperwork and provide them with the correct information for the responsible party.

The bankruptcy will not extinguish IPA payments or the tax liability payments or the penalties. The bankruptcy could extinguish your garnishment judgment from the vendor and any other unsecured debts.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney