socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Had a business with a group of 5 guys all owners. We created

Customer Question

Had a business with a group of 5 guys all owners. We created the business under as a S Crop so no persoanl assets would be affected. The 5 of us signed one loan for the company which we paid off in a short amount of time. Then 2 of the owners decided to take out a loan, at the same back as we all used before, against the company which the other 3 wanted no part of, so the bank had those two sign persoanl agreements and take out a persoanl for the loan.

The ecomomy tanked as well as the business so we payed off what little debt the company could which amounted to about 33% of the loan the 2 guys personally signed for, and close the business. The bank now points out a sentence in their loan papers that points out "Signing for this document holds the signee responsible not only paying off this loan but any other loan take out under the company". Which the bank now points out is all of us. Is this common?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Yes, it's common. But, common or uncommon, if it was agreed to, then it's binding, absent proof of some conscience-shocking unfairness.

However, it's not clear to me how the two individuals' making a personal guarantee for the loan, makes the rest of the owners personally liable. It just makes the company liable. So, unless you are one of those two "guys," I don't understand the concern. Maybe you can clarify for me.

Thanks.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a justanswer.com subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question on the justanswer.com Homepage and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.