Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

In a three person company in N.Y.S Who owns the website build

Customer Question
for the company? The 1/3...
In a three person company in N.Y.S Who owns the website build for the company? The 1/3 partner that build it . ( With funds from the other two members) or the company itself? Gary
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
5/1/2010
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Under 17 U.S.C. §201, the a work made for another person/entity is the property of the other person/entity (aka "a work made for hire"). However,under 17 U.S.C. §101l, in order for a work to be considered "a work made for hire," the worker must either be (1) an employee of the hiring party, or (2) the worker must have entered into a written agreement specially commissioning the work as one made for hire.

So, in order for the company (wihch I assume is an LLC) to be considered the author of the work, the 1/3 member who actually authored the work would (1) have had to have been subject to the direction and control of the company during the time when the work was created; (2) have had to have been an actual W-2 employee, or (3) have had to have signed the company operating agreement, or other agreement with the company which would have to contain text expressly stating that any creative work done as a member of the company, if created for company use, is considered specially commissioned as a work made for hire by the members of the company.

Note: the analysis of copyright ownership is frequently much more difficult than most people (even lawyers) may believe. Ultimately, where there is a dispute, only a court can decide.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming customer demand for my time, I am forced to limit our correspondence to only one follow-up question per session. If you are on a justanswer.com subscription plan, this does not prevent you from asking new questions for the same subscription fee. It only means that you must open a new question to continue our conversation. You are welcome to open a new question and preface it with my userid: “To Socrateaser…{question text}.”

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
To Socrateasers...(question text). Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have been more clear. This company is Incorporated not an LLC. The appointed President who is a marketing guy. Is stating in effect if you don't remove the other partner. I'm going to take the website (Which is my idea) and which all three of us paid for and do it on my own I would think the company owns it Not him

A corporation doesn't have partners. It has shareholders. The difference for the purposes of copyright law is important, because if the shareholder who created the website was just an investor, and did not receive any wages for his or her services, then the shareholder is not an employee of the corporation, and unless he/she signed an agreement to create the website for the corporation expressly stating that the website was a "work made for hire, then the shareholder owns the creative work. Period.

socrateaser, Attorney