Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I am a small business owner. I recently did a service for an…

Customer Question
I am a small business...
I am a small business owner. I recently did a service for an out-of-state customer and also sold him several parts. I invoiced him for all and he paid one of the three invoices I sent him. Over the last several weeks I have tried numerous times to contact him via email and phone calls and I even had a gentleman hand deliver a notice to him of the debt owed. He will not respond. After he paid the first invoice I emailed him regarding the other 2 and he responded then saying the other 2 payments were being paid that week and the week after. This was about 2 months ago and i never received anything else from him nor has he made contact with me since. I don't know what to do. Can I reclaim the parts he did not pay for? If I can what documentation do I need to do this? How can I get him to pay me for my expenses and labor? I do business from the state of Florida. This customer is in the state of Wisconsin. IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET HIM TO PAY OR AT LEAST GET HIS ATTENTION BESIDES COURT?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
4/10/2010
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning. Since he will not respond voluntarily, you will need to bring a lawsuit against him. If the claim is $5,000 or less, you can bring this claim in small claims court. Although he is a resident of Wisconsin, if the transaction took place in Florida, you can file your suit in Florida. Once you get your judgment, you can then attach his assets and/or garnish his wages to collect your judgment.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

the debt is alot more than $5000.00. and the transaction took place in wisconsin. i also need to know if i can reclaim the parts i gave hm that he did not pay for.
OK....Then you will have to file suit against him in Wisconsin. You will have to sue for your judgment first unless you have a written security agreement in the parts.
Relist: Answer came too late.