How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 57374
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a breach of contract issue. We were hired to do a job,

Customer Question

We have a breach of contract issue. We were hired to do a job, the customer cancelled two days before the start date. It was past the three days right of decision law. We retained the deposit as collateral for the material purchased and loss of income. The home owner is now trying to charge me with theft by contractor. I'm the owner of the company, but the company is LLC. in WI. I have tried to make it clear to the detective we didn't cancel the job and would still be willing to do the job. Can they charge me with this is my main concern?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
Who hired the contractor?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The home owner, that signed the contract

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
Then the homeowner by privity of contract can pursue the contractor and has no claim against you for the contractor's breach.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, almost understand, sorry if I seem a little behinde here. So even though I'm the onwer of the company, and it is a llc. They can't charge me personaly for a crime, it would have to go against the company?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
They would need evidence of your personal wrong doing so talking to them could only give them something to use against you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am the contractor. And to ignore the police I don't feel is the smart thing to do.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
If the police want to speak to you, you should not do so without a lawyer speaking for you.