INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  LICENSED BUSINESS LAWYER
11313492

I filed the articles of organization for a California corporation

Customer Question

I filed the articles of organization for a California corporation and listed myself as the Registered Agent. After the articles were filed the company conducted business and I acted as the manager for the business (opened checking accounts, signed the company up for service contracts, made purchases and ran the pizza store). The statement of information was never filed. This LLC was created to be owned by a C Corp that I formed with my partners. We decided to cease operations at the pizza shop after 2 months because we couldn't afford to keep it open. The electricity bill and the Franchise Tax are both in the name of the LLC, that has no clear owner, just myself as the Registered Agent. How do I "end" the company without being held personally liable for those bills?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You can have the company dissolve or file bankruptcy.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know I can have the company dissolved, but the Secretary of State's website said that the debts of the company have to be assumed by someone before it can be dissolved. With the statement of information not being filed, the only name attached to it is mine as the Registered Agent. So, how do I end the company without being held personally liable for the two debts that it has?

Does your answer mean that I am currently NOT liable for the debts? I'm confused.
You are not liable for the debts personally if you dissolve it or not as long as you dont personally assume the debts in writing.