How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 57339
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fell behind in my Home Owners Association dues after loosing

This answer was rated:

I fell behind in my Home Owners Association dues after loosing my job. I have since been rehired, and began paying the monthly dues. The HOA hired a lawyer who obtained a lien against my home. I figured no big deal, so I have a lien, if I ever sell my house, they will get their money then. Now they are threating to file a forced forclosure, can they do that? The debt is $1300, and I live in Abingdon, MD.
Hello and thank you for your question. If you need more details after you read my answer, click reply (not relist) & I will gladly respond. You should offer to repay it. The court wont foreclose and they would be foolish to try were you are ready to become current.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I feel much better now. I will accept the answer in one moment, but first I need to know one other thing - When I offered to repay ($100 a month towards a $1300 debt which will take a year to pay off) the lawyer refused and demanded it paid off in 2 months or he will foreclose. Is that what you mean when you say "the court won't forclose if I offer to pay"? He also want's me to sign something called a confessed judgement note?
The court cannot require the hoa to take a payment plan, but is likely to press them to do so and you should try to come up with the full amount even if it means a side loan.
Infolawyer and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you