socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

im starting a recording studio business.. what forms should

i'm starting a recording studio business.. what forms should i create in writing so that my clients will follow the rules of using the equipment?, what forms should i make so that i am not obligated to give the client a full refund if the studio malfunctions and they can't get their full studio time (i want to be able to reschedule them)?.. and what forms should i make so that i am not sued if the clients gets injured in the studio?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

What forms should i create in writing so that my clients will follow the rules of using the equipment?

A: Note: the term "should" in your questions implies that I advocate that you take a particular course of action. I cannot do that, for liability reasons. I "justaswer" questions about the law.

That said, consider having your clients acknowledge in writing that the equipment they intend to use is in good working order prior to the commencement of the session, and that they are liable to return it to you in the same condition. You could require a security deposit. Then, if the equipment is damaged, you deduct the repair costs from the deposit.

I was in the recording biz, and I know that most of your customers don't have any money or assets, so no amount of contract language will cover you, because you'll never collect more than a security deposit, since the customers are mostly "judgment proof."

What forms should i make so that i am not obligated to give the client a full refund if the studio malfunctions and they can't get their full studio time (i want to be able to reschedule them)?

A: You can have them sign that they understand that there are no cash refunds, and there only option is to reschedule at a later date -- and that you will provide a rescheduled date within X days (so they can't claim you're avoiding rescheduling just to keep the money).

What forms should i make so that i am not sued if the clients gets injured in the studio?

A: You can have them sign that they "unconditionally release, indemnify and hold harmless" you for any injury caused to anyone in connection with their use of your facilities. However, once again, your customers probably don't have two nickles to rub together, so the only true protection for you is liability insurance, because if someone sues you, your customer won't actually be able to cover your legal defense.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.