Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I'm thinking of starting a home based business in Florida,

Customer Question
but don't know where to...
I'm thinking of starting a home based business in Florida, but don't know where to start. I'm hoping to find out what is required by law to establish my business.... My business would sell handmade craft items online and at regional craft shows. I don't know that it makes a difference, but I'm a military spouse and as such can expect to be moving every 3-4 years. I'm concerned with not only establishing my business, but also what needs to be done when my husband gets orders which requires a move to another state (or even out of country).
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2010
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
What do you want to accomplish?

I'd like to establish myself as a business to 1. Protect myself and belongings, 2. Be able to make a profit legally (see below note) & leave room for expansion (possibly a store front in the future), 3. Be able to claim expenses (craft show fees, internet, and materials) on my taxes.

I just started selling on etsy.com, but I'm concerned about claiming that money at the end of the year for tax purposes. I understand some states put limits on the amount of money you can earn in this manner without being an established business. At my current rate of sales, I'd stand to profit around $3,000 in a year. I understand this isn't a grand amount, but it does bring concerns. I also think establishing a business might provide the opportuntiy to increase sales & thus bring in more.

what precisely is your question? Is it a tax one? if so I need to refer you to our tax dept.
Well, obviously taxes are a portion of trying to figure out how things will operate, but I my initial concern is the overall process of establishing a business. I think I've decided establishing an LLC would provide me with the most benefit (protection for my personal property against lawsuits) and an opportunity to hire employees if my business took off. I am confused first and foremost about where to establish my business if I'm operating (for the moment) exclusively online with a potential (as a military family) to move often. After that, I'm concerned about the process overall. For instance, I have a business name in mind, but how do I check to ensure that business name isn't already in use? How do I protect my business name? And in general, what is required to establish the LLC? I guess the best answer might be a general check list of things I should in order....
I cannot answer such a broad question in this forum of how to set up a business since would require personal consultation and representation. I will opt out. A colleague may take over.
Infolawyer, Attorney