Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Need business license to sell on Amazon.com

Customer Question
I've collected lots of books...
I've collected lots of books over the years. Now I want to sell them on Amazon.com, which requires me to set up a Vendor ID and could involve collecting Florida sales tax. Do I really have to get a county business license, a DBA name, a sales permit, and an EIN? (I'd rather not resort to e-bay, which doesn't require these.) Please advise.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/24/2010
Business Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 7 years ago
John, Attorney
I thought I answered this question but can't find my answer. The answer depends on the number and duration of books, as to how formal of a business plan you need. As an individual, you can sell your books and have no need to incorporate, get a tax id number or business license, but would need to charge sales tax. You simply are supposed to disclose your proceeds as person income come federal income tax time.

Florida sales tax laws are so broad that we are all supposed to pay the State usage tax on everything we buy out of state that isn't taxed. Point is, they want to capture everything these days. You will need to fill out a form located here...
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/taxes/registration.html
Thanks, John. What do you mean by duration?
If it was something with longevity, such as buying and reselling, it might be worthwhile to consider more measures, but it seems you have a limited number of books even if that number is XXXXX such that it ends eventually.
John, Attorney
John, Attorney