Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I work for a small company whose medical insurance is rated

Customer Question
per employee. In order to...
I work for a small company whose medical insurance is rated per employee. In order to get a rate quote, I was required to sign up (with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas). 4 business days later when the rates came in and were higher than I could afford I chose to cancel the insurance. I was told however that I was required to pay the premiums for 3 months, backdated to my effective date. I signed nothing that I was liable for that period of time and had no knowledge that I would be unable to cancel for 3 months. My employer also knew nothing of those requirements until my cancellation. This will cost me nearly $2000 that I simply don't have. I need recommendations please.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/9/2010
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
What do you want to know and accomplish?
I have heard that there is legistlation that allows them to do that but nothing was given to me saying that. I am wondering if I am in the right to refuse to pay.
i am going to opt out and open this for my colleagues to respond.
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Richard - Bizlaw

I would start with a complaint call to the Commissioner of Insurance. There terms of the enrollment should have been fully disclosed and the idea that you would be committed to a product before you were told what the price was going to be makes no sense and will not stand up in court.

If you have to you can take the case to court (small claims where you do not need an attorney) but I think you will get action from the Insurance Commissioner.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney