Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am trying to gey my grassrotes organization into a 501(c)3

Customer Question

I am trying to gey my grassrotes organization into a 501(c)3 statues. PAUSE-Prosecution and Underage Sex Education. I had started this in the end of 2008 because my autistic son was being cared with 2nd degree of a child. He was cognitively 13-14, but 18 by the calander age. At this time I had learned about the Adam Walsh Child Protection &Saftey Act. Well my son ended up dying before everything was completed, but is was plead down to class A misd. But Grant died March 12th 2009 of the choking game. I now has made it my purpose in life to educate our youth and adults about the new laws and the possible consequences of engaging in underage sexual contact. But I am unable to get the money together to get it to this statues. I live on SSI $748. a month and I am paying for everything out of pocket myself. But I need help PLEASE I AM BEGGING for someone to help me with this and that way we won't lose a child to the judicial system or death. Cindy Brown
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.

The way to get into a 501(c)(3) status is you need to incorporate as a non profit corporation. This alone is not sufficient. Just because you are a non profit, that does not mean you are tax exempt. You must separately apply to the IRS for tax exempt status. Given the nature of your organization, you should have no difficulty demonstrating that it is for a charitable purpose.

Getting tax exempt status is not simple. Forming the non profit is pretty straightforward. Getting tax exempt status is not. Normally I recommend that you retain an attorney to assist you. However if that is not an option, it can be done on your own. Here is the link to the IRS publication that tells you how to go about it.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf

Good luck as you have a very worthy cause.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for the answer. But If I abtain the 502(c)3 statue then doesn't that allow people yake their contribution off on their taxes. Because of how our grant systems that have been set up I am falling between the cracks. I am not a org. that just created to get funding because I don't just help the urban youth, and not just geared to domestic violence. So, I have payed everything out of my $748. and I am beyond my ability. How can I get grants to help me continue the Organization. I promised my son I would have this this up and in full running, March 12th is my sons 1st ann. of his passing and I keep hiting one wall after another. It breaks my heart that I am trying to help save our lives and I can't get help. And trust me everyone thinks it won't happen to them, but it can, and aventually will, hey hitting someone you knows childrens

Once you obtain 501(c)(3) status through the IRS you will be tax exempt and then contributions to your organization will be deductible as charitable contributions. Good luck this sounds like a very worthy cause.