How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in a record deal with a Hip Hop legend and he has not even

Resolved Question:

I'm in a record deal with a Hip Hop legend and he has not even attempted to reale 1 album in 6 years..can i get out of my deal using the California Labor code Sec. 2855?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The code provides that long term contracts cannot go longer than 7 years, you are in here for only 6 years, so you could get out of the contract after the 7 year mark. However, if they have not recorded anything then you could seek to sue for breach of contract for their non-performance under the contract now.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well im in year 5 of 2 seperate deals with promises of launching my album, i recorded 1 true album 2 years ago, and he also has power of attorney over my music
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
The statute you cited only works at the 7 year mark. As I said, the argument you have is breach of contract for him not recording.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you