How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good morning, I entered into a two year contract for services

Resolved Question:

Good morning,
I entered into a two year contract for services with Direct TVof Tampa, FL in Aug. of 2004. After one year, I relocated to an area that did not provide services. The representative told me that if I returned the equipment I would be released from my contractual obligations. I returned the equipment as agreed, and heard nothing from them for more than three years. In November of 2009, I received a phone call from a representative seeking the $170.00 "broken contract" fee. Is there a statute of limitations for collecting this fee? Also, am I obliged to pay this if they were unable to provide service to me?
Doreen O'Rourke
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, under FL law the statute of limitations is 5 years from the date of the breach of the contract. Also, if the representative gave you the assurance in writing that the contract could be canceled without fees, then you would have grounds to fight them over the fee. However, if you got no written release from the contract, then I am afraid that you would be obligated to pay and DirectTV has a reputation for pursuing these claims.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. This is very frustrating. I always assume that others maintain a minimal level of integrity. The collecting agency is AFNI, which is notorious for dredging old accounts and seeking partial compensation.



Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
I understand and what you need to do with the collection agency is send them a letter denying you owe any money and tell them as is your right under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act you are demanding they provide you with proof that this debt is yours with copies of all signed contracts and also demand they provide you an itemized statement of the account and proof that they have authority to collect this debt. Tell them that failure to provide this upon your demand is a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and will lead to you suing them for violations of the Act and for attorney's fees as provided for in the Act. Many times these credit collectors do not have the proper information to even collect on a debt and these letters cause them to stop bothering you and transfer the debt to someone else to try to collect.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much. I've composed my letter and will send a copy to the FTC in Atlanta as well. I appreciate your time.


Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Good luck to you on this and thank you. Please do not forget to click accept to release your deposit.