How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10648
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a foreigner here in U.S. under a working visa. Am i by

Customer Question

I am a foreigner here in U.S. under a working visa. Am i by law allowed to open a business specifically online?

Starting a business is always hard work/risk. actulally i want to try it out opening a business, what if I get federal tax id number, i have a business name, LLC, business account and then eventually my venture didnt become successful can i just cancel or close everything? can i just close my business that easy?would i owe anything for tax or something to IRS? What will be the complications of registering a business then eventually if not successful closing it?

And if ever i would start my business and it became ok, how is the filing of taxes gonna be? would i file a separate for it? and then file for my personal.. thank you.

Would you advise me to seek advise from a CPA before starting a business?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.
What kind of visa are you here on? Does it permit you to work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was sponsered for an H1-b visa... a working visa...
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.

As an H1-b visa holder you are restricted from working for any company except your employer and only in the areas for which you were sponsored. Consequently, you could not operate as a self employed person. You can form a C corp and be an investor in it but you would have to have a green card holder or US citizen handle management functions although you could be a 100% owner.


If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.