How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son owned 24% shares of my S corporation and he died last

Resolved Question:

My son owned 24% shares of my S corporation and he died last year. There is nothing in the corporation papers stating what to do in the event of death. He did not participate in the business and had no other assets. The business is not doing good and profits at the end of year are small. I was not going to file probate because he had no assets. What can I do with his shares? He was not married but has a 17 year old daughter in my custody. Can I transfer the shares to myself and my other son who are the only other shareholders?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

The shares that were issued to your son are assets of his estate. Absent a will, they would pass as per the intestate statute to his daughter.
Ellen and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you