How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 39139
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am a partner in a corp. Th e partners that are responsible

Customer Question

i am a partner in a corp. Th e partners that are responsible for the bills and the accounts are not paying the employees(i aso am an employee of the company). I am finding that they are doing some pretty shady stuff. I wouldlike to kow what i can do to take back cotrol ofmy 14 year old comoany that they are destroying.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If you can prove that the other shareholders are plundering corporate assets, you can sue them on behalf of the corporation for breach of fiduciary, and/or for conversion/civil theft. If you win, you could report their actions to law enforcement and they could be prosecuted for embezzlement.


Unfortunately, law enforcement will not generally get involved with this sort of white-collar crime until after a successful civil case is proven, because, frankly, it's cheaper, since the government can use your evidence to help prove its case.


So, as you say, you will simply have to threaten your co-owners with legal action, unless they voluntarily account for and restore their ill-gotten gains, and if they refuse, then you will have to sue.


For a civil litigation attorney referral, see:

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.