Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

My business partner and I have a dispute. He is majority owner

Customer Question
My business partner and I...
My business partner and I have a dispute. He is majority owner and I own a small percentage and have a contract entitling me to 50% of earnings after workers have been paid. Recently, a worker file a complaint of sexual harassment against my partner. Because of the regulations governing our filed, I was requuired to investigate and document the claim. Because of my refusal to "sweep it under the rug," my partner threw me out of my office and says that he's suspending my position without pay. what are my imediate legal rights as this is my only source of income.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/1/2010
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 years ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Is this a partnership? is there a partnership agreement? Do you have anything in writing confirming your interest and your compensation rights?
I have a written (signed) contract and a licensing agreement.
Good then you should have a local lawyer review it and initially send a letter demanding you be reinstated and paid according to said agreements, citing to the pertinent clauses for such relief. If he refuses by a short deadline to do so, the lawyer would sue for injunctive relief to require it, declaratory judgment as to your rights, and money damages.
Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney