Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am trying to begin work as a contractor for high school marching

Customer Question
bands in Texas, where I...
I am trying to begin work as a contractor for high school marching bands in Texas, where I offer to write their music and/or drill for their marching band shows. I will have a website and a booth at a music convention that begins next week.

I'm new to this, and want to know what I need to do to accept business. I already have a dba; what else do I need to do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Business Law
2/1/2010
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 years ago
If you have a DBA you can accept business, you can also form a LLC, which would be the best way to go to protect yourself from any personal liability, but that is a choice for you to make. As an independent contractor, you really do not need to form any business entity, that is done merely for protection from personal liability in case you are sued for anything. As long as you are paying your proper taxes, there is nothing more you legally have to do.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney