Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

is there a way to run a credit check of a Chinese/Hong Kong

Customer Question
company? i am about to...
is there a way to run a credit check of a Chinese/Hong Kong company? i am about to enter into business with them and i would like to minimize the risk of a fraud or a default.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
1/8/2010
Business Lawyer: Anne_C, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney

Dear xxx:

Yes, Dun & Bradstreet does have a rating service for Chinese companies, called HuaXia D&B China. Here is a link to Dun & Bradstreet's home page: http://smallbusiness.dnb.com/13319550-1.html?cm_mmc=Google-_-Keyword-_-online-_-bradstreet_dun&LID=7577875 (this link includes a coupon with a 10% discount).

Unless you have someone that can help you with keying in the Chinese name(s) to search, you will need to contact them for assistance in running the check.

Good luck with your new venture.

Edited by Rebecca_Admin on 5/2/2010 at 3:00 AM EST
do you know of any business tools in the chinese market? D&B does not provide a thourgh report there

Dear xxx:

I can recommend a top-notch translators group, which is https://www.atanet.org/. Please check their directory for a certified Chinese translator.

With respect to actually checking on businesses, the following information is from http://www.alibaba.com/:

"Legal companies in China have to register with the Chinese government authorities and obtain a unique company registration number. If your business partner cannot offer you a unique company registration number, it is risky to deal with them. To check the registration number your supplier provided, you need to visit their local administrative government website with the number they provided. However, you should be aware that most government websites in China are in written Chinese. You can also contact their local Bureau of Industry & Commerce, which is the only government organisation responsible for the registration of legitimate companies or enterprises in China. You can ask friends in China to help you verify this company. You can also use a third-party authentication service company in China to help you verify information."

I would expect that your translator (make sure to choose one who specializes in business) can help you find an authentication service.

Good luck.

Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney
Anne_C
Anne_C
Anne_C, Attorney