Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I was a partner in a business in the state of NY. I left the

I was a partner in a business in the state of NY. I left the business. I took one client contract with me valued at about 7500. Shortly thereafter I purchased the rights to the business name and assets when the other 2 partners decided to close the business. They rolled the remaining clients into their own business. I have my company (which now owns the rights to the former business in NY's name) in the state of PA. The client has since refused to pay the remaining balance. With Interest penalties outlined in the written agreement, the amount is now about 10K owed. Can I file suit in the state of PA to collect from this client? If so, what documentation do I need to provide an attorney to process it showing I own the agreement?
Yes, you can sue for breach of contract and would need a copy of the contract and any invoices to prove your damages.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX sue in the state of PA?
You should sue where the defendant is located.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. That was mostly what I was afraid of. NY attorney is twice what my PA attorney's hourly rate. I guess I have to shell out the money up front and collect court costs + attorney fees after. Thanks.

You could use a lawyer on contingency fee basis if possible. Consider www.martindale.com
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you.
Good luck!!!