How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116815
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to start a non-profit to assist job seekers to

This answer was rated:

I would like to start a non-profit to assist job seekers to find jobs. My plan was to reward the employer with money from donations to pay the first months salary of somebody that they employed for 3 months. In this way, the person gets a job and the employer gets rewarded for making the job possible. I have been told that I cannot form a non-profit with this plan because the solicited money has to be given to a large group of people. Is there any way I can tweek this plan to make a viable non-profit?
You may not be able to give the money to the employer directly, since they would not be considered a charitable purpose. There may be a way around this in that you could offer to actually pay the salary for the first month or two weeks and your charitable purpose would be helping unemployed individuals and giving them the first month or whatever of salary instead of the employer paying them could be one alternative. However, you are going to need a local attorney to set this up carefully and explain that you are not rebating money for employers, you are paying the employee salaries for the first several weeks to make sure they fit into the jobs.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116815
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Sorry. Seems like the only way to preserve "non-profit" status and distribute money which provides a direct economic benefit to a private person or business is to get into the Big Government business.

What you propose is possible as a government grant or public benefits program.

You may remember that donations to the bank accounts set up for victims of crimes (individuals), such as a college fund for the kids left behind when their parents are murdered, and NOT tax-deductible. The distributions to the children are also taxable as "income" to the recipients. The only way to get around those legal effects is to pass a special law.

It *can* be different with EDUCATIONAL funds for students--far easier to get a non-profits funds to "benefit" a private individual. But for employment, the only mechanism I have seen has been the governmental program route.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have received an answer and accepted it from another lawyer. Thank you for your time.
Understood. My lock in the question had expired while I took a phone call...then I just went back in and answered.

I have also sent a message to PaulMJD letting him know I was not trying to step on his toes.

Thank you. Feel free to use JustAnswer again. Legal is just one of many subject areas where you can get valuable information.