How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I transferred the lease on my car to another individual. This

Customer Question

I transferred the lease on my car to another individual. This was done through the original company that I leased my car from (Mercedes). The person who now has the car assumed all responsibilities for the remainder of the lease. The lease has a termination fee and the person who assumed the lease is suing me in small claims court for that sum. Mercedes says its her responsibility. She will not win the suit. My feeling is she is just doing this because she is annoyed and is trying to appeal to my good nature because I split the application fees with her. Do I have a counterclaim here? She is wasting my time. Is that something I can counterclaim? The court system is in NYC. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If you transferred the lease legally, then the assignee (new lessee) assumed all liability, including the termination fee. She would have to sue you for misrepresentation, which would be practically impossible, because every vehicle lease has a termination fee, so no one could reasonably claim that they were tricked into beleiving that no fee existed -- it's right there on the face of the contract -- plain as day!


Re countersuing, you could request sanctions on grounds that the suit is frivolous (totally without merit), or you could wait to win the suit, and the file a new complaint for "wrongful institution of civil proceedings." You can't make this suit as a counterclaim, however. You have to wait to win your defensive claim.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Related Business Law Questions