How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

after nearly nine years, I have been employed with no incidents

This answer was rated:

after nearly nine years, I have been employed with no incidents on my record of any type. About 12 weeks ago, I got a new boss and within a week of him taking over I was placed on 90 days probation for poor conditions and not achieving performance goals that up to that point were better than projection and still are, except where the numbers were changed by middle management. The ninety days are up tomorrow and my HR Rep called to set up a meeting with me, I have done or at least have attempted to comply, but to date I have not been able to satisfy my current supervisor. Should they attempt to terminate or demote me, do I have any recourse ?
The problem with this is that if you are not an employee with a written contract to the contrary, you are an at will employee and this means the employer gets to make the rules here. In order for you to have any real claims against the employer, you have to have some proof that the reason the new boss is doing this is based solely upon your age/race/sex/disability and other than those reasons he would not have much of a claim against the employer other than in unemployment iif they fire you. In unemployment, all of the documentation you are putting together regarding your employment record would be justification to overcome the employer's attempts to deny benefits for misconduct issues.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you