Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.
18572087

1. What is the best way to convince out law-firm (a top 10

Customer Question

1. What is the best way to convince out law-firm (a top 10 in Texas) to take on a pro-bono case? We have a good case, and they represent all of our business ventures, but we would like to explore this route. What key words do they need to hear, and what do they need to typically see? 2. If another company has a contract worker, but lists them on their website as "Part of the company team" can that be deemed to be the same entity? 3. We agreed not to sell a product line we manufactured because a competitor traded flight lessons for legal assistance to file suit. Their claim was we copied them. FALSE, but they knew we would have to spend $. They=CA, we=TX. The case never ended, we just said we would no longer carry that product, so everyone went silent. Is there a statute of limitations to how long this case can sit on the docket in CA? Also, the competitor/instr. charges $30/hour and their attorney $300+/hour which came out about equal, so wouldn't most att. ask for $ instead for more
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Anne_C replied 7 years ago.

Dear xxx:

Thank you for using JustAnswer! I can answer part of your question #3 and I am doing so now, but I need some more information to answer the rest of your questions.

Q: 1. What is the best way to convince out law-firm (a top 10 in Texas) to take on a pro-bono case? We have a good case, and they represent all of our business ventures, but we would like to explore this route. What key words do they need to hear, and what do they need to typically see?

1. Is this a pro-bono case representing your company? If it is, are you asking for true pro bono; or reduced fees? If it is not, how does it relate to the work that firm does? What is the likelihood for favorable publicity for the firm doing the work?

Q. 2. If another company has a contract worker, but lists them on their website as "Part of the company team" can that be deemed to be the same entity?

2. Are you asking if the contract worker is considered part of the company for liability purposes?

Q. 3. We agreed not to sell a product line we manufactured because a competitor traded flight lessons for legal assistance to file suit. Their claim was we copied them. FALSE, but they knew we would have to spend $. They=CA, we=TX. The case never ended, we just said we would no longer carry that product, so everyone went silent. Is there a statute of limitations to how long this case can sit on the docket in CA?

3. Yes, cases in California must be tried within 5 years of the filing date. In some counties on "fast track" cases must be tried within a year - although some complex cases are allowed more time.

Q. 4. Also, the competitor/instr. charges $30/hour and their attorney $300+/hour which came out about equal, so wouldn't most att. ask for $ instead for more

4. Was the firm trading equal flight instructor time for equal attorney time? If not, what was actually happening?

Edited by Rebecca_Admin on 5/2/2010 at 2:56 AM EST