Infolawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I took a small deposit 4 days ago on an item advertised on

I took a small deposit 4 days ago on an item advertised on Craigslist. I decided not to sell the item. Can I be forced to sell to the individual who left the deposit. I have contacted him via phone, email, and fax asking him to contact me so I can return his deposit, but he has not done so.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
How much is at issue?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What am I replying to?
How much did you get and how much is the item worth?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I agreed to sell the item for $1,100 and took a $200 deposit. The item is probably worth in the neighborhood of $2,000.
I would send back the deposit. Then buyer has no damages. and likely wont sue for specific performance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can he sue for specific performance on an item that is ordinary and readily available (we have three of them)?
NO. He could sue for breach of contract and seek his money back. Only unique items could be so pursued (rare coin, real estate for example)