How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 31781
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Tax And notary business in California that offers

This answer was rated:

I have a Tax And notary business in California that offers ral loans am I required to get a loan broker bond or register as a credit services organization even if I don't charge for the loan. The bank does charge for their loans though.

Here is the law on issuing RAL's:


A tax preparer who offers RAL's must register with the Ca. Tax Education Council:


22253. (a) It is a violation of this chapter for a tax preparer to do any of the following: (1) Fail to register as a tax preparer with the council. (2) Make, or authorize the making of, any statement or representation, oral or written or recorded by any means, which is intended to induce persons to use the tax preparation service of the tax preparer, which statement or representation is fraudulent, untrue, or misleading. (3) Obtain the signature of a customer to a tax return or authorizing document which contains blank spaces to be filled in after it has been signed. (4) Fail or refuse to give a customer, for his or her own records, a copy of any document requiring the customer's signature, within a reasonable time after the customer signs the document. (5) Fail to maintain a copy of any tax return prepared for a customer for four years from the date of completion or the due date of the return, whichever is later. (6) Engage in advertising practices which are fraudulent, untrue, or misleading, including, but not limited to, assertions that the bond required by Section 22250 in any way implies licensure or endorsement of a tax preparer by the State of California. (7) Violate Section 17530.5 or 17530.6. (8) Violate Section 7216 of Title 26 of the United States Code. (9) Fail to sign a customer's tax return when payment for services rendered has been made. (10) Fail to return, upon the demand by or on behalf of a customer, records or other data provided to the tax preparer by the customer. (11) Knowingly give false or misleading information to the consumer pursuant to Section 22252, or give false or misleading information to the surety company pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 22250, or give false or misleading information to the California Tax Education Council pursuant to Section 22255. (b) Each violation of this section constitutes a separate offense.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am registered with ctec but what I am needing to find out is if requirements are also registration as loan broker or credit services organization. Calif. Mass. Miss . Okla. have certain regs I am not sure of.

This law does not state such a requirement when offering RAL's, and I can't find any regulations that require additional licensing/registration.


However, my suggestion is to contact the council and ask. They can give you direction if any further licensing is required.

Roger and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you