How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 39155
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Iowa and need to know if I need any

This answer was rated:

I live in the state of Iowa and need to know if I need any business licenses to buy,sell or trade privately held mortgages, trust deeds and/or real estate investing.

Undr Iowa Code 502.202(11), a privately held mortgage/note/trust deed would be an exempt transaction, not requiring a securities broker license, if all of the following apply:

a. The note, bond, debenture, or other evidence of indebtedness is offered and sold with the mortgage or other security agreement as a unit.
b. A general solicitation or general advertisement of the transaction is not made.
c. A commission or other remuneration is not paid or given, directly or indirectly, to a person not registered under this chapter as a broker -dealer or as an agent.


Based on your stated facts, you are soliciting to trade mortgage instruments via a general solicitation on the internet, and you intend to earn a commission for doing so. Therefore, you must have a securities broker-dealer license.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you