Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

what are teh legal things needed for a dating site adn cos

t?...
what are teh legal things needed for a dating site adn cos t?
12/2/2009
P. Simmons, Attorney
can you tell me your question please...you want to know how to start a website?

I need to know the legal steps required for a dating site.

I have been told I may have to pay up to $5000 in legal fees alone.

I would like to know what are all the requirements for the site to be worry free and details of how much each step may be or overall price.

I do not want to pay someone $5000 if it really only cost $1000.

Thanks

Well, it depends on the scope of your site and what your trying to protect. Look at it this way...if you ran a site like "e-harmony" you would have several lawyers on staff to handle various legal issues that come up day to day for a site of this size.

If you have a much smaller site, your requirements are much smaller.

You will want an attorney to help you with your "terms of service"...this is the "rules of your site" and will typically attempt to waive liability on your part, say one of your customers assaults another one of your customers and the victim comes after you to sue for damages.

How much do you have in the bank? The more you have, the more you have at risk and the better the legal help you will ned.

Cost? See above...the more complex your site, the larger your site, the more a lawyer will charge to help with the waivers.

The best way to approach this is get your site "ready to launch" then contact several local attorneys with experience in tort law...you will find one to help.

Speeking of waivers...here is mine

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

So what should I do to start?

do I need to pay a lawyer $5000 just to copy and paste the site's user agreement?

The site will not generate anymony the first few months but there may be site members while we still have zero money.

so you mean as long as the site has no major cash in the bank or not worth more than we are willing to lose we should not worry about the lawyer?

do we just customize an existing disclosure until we start making money in the site?

I would not recommend a "cut and paste"...you need an agreement that is tailored to your business.

I do think you need to "worry about a lawyer" for this type of business...since your involved in relationships and they can get messy.

$5K is a LOT of money to do a simple terms of use...you may want to talk to a few more attorneys.

P. Simmons, Attorney
P. Simmons, Attorney