Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How do I get out of a business that is failing Are there forms

Customer Question
How do I get out...
How do I get out of a business that is failing? Are there forms that I can fill out to get out of the corporation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
11/5/2009
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 8 years ago
Richard, Attorney
Are you the sole owner of this corporation?
No. There are six owners/partners altogether and it is a C corporation.

Thanks. First, as you know, your personal assets are safe from the liabilities of this corporation because a corporation is a limited liability entity except to the extent any of you have personally guaranteed the obligations of the corporation. Second, because of the first, if the business is failing, you want to let it go dormant, but do not dissolve it. When you dissolve a corporation, there are certain dissolution and liquidation documents which must be filed, one of which provides that the owners represent they have made adequate provision for the debts and liabilities of the corporation...some commentators are concerned this may expose the owners to personal liability. Third, if you have a buy-sell or the other partners are willing to buy or take your shares, you could simply fill out the stock transfer ledger on the back of your shares. Fourth, otherwise, just simply hold your shares and let the corporation go dormant...you have no further liability.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Richard, Attorney