Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I have a confidentiality clause in an e-mail to me from a lawyer

I have a confidentiality clause in an e-mail to me from a lawyer hiring me as an expert witness. In it he agrees to pay me my retainer and execute a retainer agreement. He has reneged on this e-mail and not paid me. Can I show this e-mail to a court of law if I sue him to collect.?

Thank you for your question.

Yes the e-mail can be entered as evidence in a proceeding to enforce the agreement. The confidentiality clause does not apply to an action taken against one of the parties to the agreement.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your prompt reply on my confidentiality clause in e-mail question. This is my follow-up question:

The confidentiality clause also says "You are hereby notified that any disclosure, dissemination, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this confidential information is strictly prohibited." Can this "of any action" in the clause cause me a problem in suing to collect my expert witness fee?
Absolutely not.