Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can an officer of a nonprofit public benefit corporation benefit

Customer Question
from that corporation? For example...
Can an officer of a nonprofit public benefit corporation benefit from that corporation? For example may an officer accept a donation on behalf of the non corp and then sell the donated items back to themselves, this is in the State of California? Where would I find this in the code?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
11/4/2009
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Standards of Conduct are found in Corporations Code 5320-5329, however they apply to directors, not officers. Ordinarly, officer actions are subject to board of directors approval, and so it would be up to the board to discipline or ratify an officer's actions, as the case may be.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney