How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 57340
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been sued in the NY state supreme court, and am named

Resolved Question:

I have been sued in the NY state supreme court, and am named both personally and my company so corporately too, so the company and I are the defending parties. It has to do with a disgruntled employee who was fired for cause and now says that he is owed money under the implied "contract" of his letter of offer. How do I get myself removed as a party, since his case is against the company and not me personally? in his case, he alleges that I violated SEC rules and there is an outstanding complaint against me from the SEC, when in fact he was the one who violated the SEC rules and I am being blamed. How does the NY State court have jurisdiction when all SEC matters must be heard in Federal court? and while the company was operating in NY where this employee worked, I was never there often and am resident in FL - how can the court suggest they have jurisdiction over me as a party? thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 7 years ago.
You would need to have a lawyer make a motion to remove it to federal court based on federal law claims. You can also raise the lack of jurisdiction and failure to state a claim defense over you personally but that would likely be handled at the federal court level.
Infolawyer and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you