Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a partnership with my father in a tow company. He has

Customer Question
recently filed and gotten a...
I have a partnership with my father in a tow company. He has recently filed and gotten a new one with a new partner. I was not made aware of these changes, is this legal?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Business Law
11/3/2009
Business Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney
Under general partnership law, a partner must refrain from competing with a partnership business prior to the dissolution of the partnership. Therefore, your father's organizing a new partnership to accomplish the same thing as the existing one would permit you to sue him for breach of loyalty.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
What does this entitle us to, half of the assets?

or a breach of loyalty, you would be entitled to your share of the existing partnership, plus your share of your father's new partnership, in similar proportion.

socrateaser, Attorney