socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

I want to set up a non-profit collective/corporation (in California)

I want to set up a non-profit collective/corporation (in California) for growing medical cannabis. Can I do this as a 501 (c) 3? I have read that 501c3 are for publically beneficial entities, not for mutually beneficial ones. I view a MM collective as being for mutual benefit of the collective's memebers, rather than the public in general. Am I correct in my interpretation? If so, under what 501c can my collective be incorporated?
warmest regards & many thanks.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Marajuna is an illegal substance under federal law, and its culitivation is prohibited.

Federal tax law cannot be used to advance an act criminalized by federal law. You can set up your corporation under California state law in whatever manner you wish, but you will never get a nonprofit approval from the IRS to cultivate marajuana.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I know that federally marijuana is illegal. However, under CA prop 215 & SB420, CA residents with a Dr's recommendation can cultivate and use medical cannabis. SB420 recommends that patients establish collectives and become non-profit entities. that's what I'm trying to do.

Are you saying that I can establish as a non-profit entity (corporation) in CA, but NOT file for non-profit status with the IRS?

A: Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks very much! & warmest regards. I accept your answer.
You're welcome and good luck.