Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am considering starting a microbrewery in California. The

I am considering starting a microbrewery in California. The initial phase of business would be from contracting a contract brewerer in Washington to ship my product into the state, then in about two years, build my own brewery in CA. Are there any restrictions to this? What licenses do I need?

Thanks you,
/Steve
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 8 years ago.
To sell beer you will obviously need a license and have to make your purchases from a licensed wholesaler. To open a brewery, you will requrie a brewer license. You will also have to comply with environmental regulations governing effluent discharge, potential zoning issues depending on where you want to open. If you plan to serve food in a restaurant as well as operate a brewery, there are additional regulations to be dealt with.

I suggest you retain an attorney to help you work through the process. You need to have a clear understanding of where you want to end up before you start as making decisions based on the ease of starting may foreclose achieving your ultimate goal. The brewing business is pretty highly regulated governed by not only rules and regulatinos governing starting but governing ongoing opeations.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Actually, my question is what licenses do I need in the state of CA to establish a microbrewery and what, if any, legal issues do I need to be concerned with to deliver beer from a contract brewery in another state? Thx.
You need a licenst type 23 to open a microbrewery. In order to bring in beer you have to deal with a licensed wholesaler. The issues are governed by the Alchohol Beverage Contnrol. Here is a site for a brewers association that you might find of help in contacting people in the industry. http://www.beertown.org/govt_affairs/2007/may.html

Here is the site for ABC http://www.abc.ca.gov/