How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I invested money in my brothers business, with the expectation

Customer Question

I invested money in my brothers business, with the expectation of being a paid back. He owes me $40,000 and will not take my calls, avoiding me. His other investors have been repaid. How can I get my money back? Can i place a lien on his business?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You can file a lien on your brother's business only if you first obtain a judgment.

You can consider filing a breach of contract action against your brother. You lent your brother money. He agreed to pay back the money at the same rate as the other investors. He did not repay the money on that schedule and thus breached the contract. You can file suit to recover the 40K and court fees and costs. If you are successful, you will be granted a judgment and can then lien the business.