How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INFOLAWYER Your Own Question
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 56555
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
INFOLAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Dear sir or madam, I have an outstanding balance owing to

Customer Question

Dear sir or madam,

I have an outstanding balance owing to the Washington State Dept. of Revenue for sales taxes. I filed chapter 7 a few months back, and my bankruptcy has been discharged. I no longer have the business that accumulated this debt, it folded with the bankruptcy. The balance owing to DOR is $3,838.74. I have contacted DOR to try to make payment arrangements, and they tell me that if the balance is not paid in full before the end of the month, they will issue a tax warrant. I don't have the funds to be able to pay it in full before this happens, but I can try to make payment arrangements. Can I expect DOR to work with me on payments, or are they just going to go in and garnish whatever they can find in my bank until the debt is paid? What are my options?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
You should offer a payment plan and it will entertain a reduction in balance if you make a showing of financial harship. Reach out and negotiate with them or have a lawyer do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Can we be more specific here?

What constitutes financial hardship in their eyes? What do I need to provide to them for this?

Am I at risk of getting my bank account drained here once they file the tax warrant? Do I actually have any leverage to negotiate anything with them? The answer you provided so far is not specific and elaborate enough for my concerns.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 7 years ago.
I want to send you to our tax experts for further comment who can provide their perspective.